Monday, July 7, 2014

Quilts of Honor

I had a wonderful treat this weekend.  I was asked by the folks at Quilts of Honor - Melissa Guzman, Angie, and her husband Dave - to accompany them to Progressive Field in Cleveland to present quilts to the 2 ballplayers there nominated for the Bob Feller Act of Valor Award.

Melissa and Angie made lots of quilts - including 2 to give to Nick Swisher of the Indians and Billy Butler of the KC Royals for their work with veterans.

Me, go to a baseball game and present quilts? Yes, that is a no-brainer!

Progressive Field in Cleveland

Yes, I was really there!


Navy and Air Force personnel waiting with us for the presentation

Mr. Billy Butler waiting to come out

Can't have a game without these guys


The 2 quilts Melissa and Angie made to present to Nick Swisher and Billy Butler. I was honored to be there  and honored they used our Stars and Bars pattern and our Grant Park fabric to make them.

Hope you had a great weekend too!

Laurie

P.S. As everyone knows that reads this blog and knows me a little bit - I am a life long, die-hard, long suffering Detroit Tigers fan.  The Cleveland Indians have been a rival forever. Everyone there in Cleveland was wonderful to me and to Quilts of Honor - and the passionate dislike I carried will forever be softened.  Also, if you are a life long sports fan of a particular team (any team) there is always that ONE GUY from the other team that you love to hate.  THAT ONE GUY who gets game winning hits against you.  You know that guy?? Well that guy used to be Nick Swisher for me.  Not anymore. Mr. Swisher proved himself to be a gentleman, he was gracious. lovely, and a bit adorable.  Now I have to find a new THAT GUY.



18 comments:

moosecraft said...

lol! It's tough to hate great people! ;-)

What a thrill it is to be standing there with your quilts and all those honorable people!

Sharon said...

LOL! I totally get you!
What a great experience!

315c2b1e-7b1e-11e3-a7ff-000bcdcb8a73 said...

How wonderful to be included in the ceremonies, but come to think of it your work is a blessing to every patriotic American. I'm happy for your great weekend.
Pam

Mary Miller said...

As a long suffering Tribe fan, Detroit has always been a thorn in my side, but if you can soften, I suppose I can too. Diplomacy, courtesy of The Boys of Summer? I like it! :)

Debra said...

What a wonderful day and a great honor for you! Even though I'm a lifelong Reds fan, we enjoyed a game at Progressive Field last summer. I've heard very nice things about Nick Swisher, and I especially liked that he wanted to come back to Ohio to play. So fans' feelings can change! Never liked Scott Hartnell as a Flyer, but now that he's a Blue Jacket, he's the man! Thank you for all of your work with our veterans. Your patterns and fabrics just lend themselves to beautiful patriotic quilts!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What a wonderful honor! I dream of being able to get out onto the field ... at Busch Stadium of course (I'm a life long Cardinals fan). A true baseball fan definitely has to have a THAT GUY to "hate".

suz said...

what a great tribute! I totally understand "that guy" - I'm a Red Sox fan - the Yankees never fail to have "that guy" on their team...often more than one "that guy"! :0)

SharoninStitches said...

I am totally envious of you!! What a grand experience! Detroit fan here too!!

Miss Jean said...

Thank you for what yo do for our veterans!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Best of both worlds--quilts and baseball--what a great day for you!

Vicky said...

Look at you! What an honor to be at the presentation! First the shirt in Secretariat, and now this! Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

I just read your post about the quilting hoops. I have an embroidery hoop made in Germany, looks to be by the same manufacturer, it is the absolute best hoop I have ever had. I found it about 5 yrs ago at the Quilt Expo in Madison WI. Maybe you could carry those also, just in case you dont already. Laura B

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Wonderful honor for you and your beautiful design!

Anita said...

How funny, I loved Nick Swisher when he played for the A's (my team). Glad to hear he really is a nice guy after all, guess I'll have to forgive the Tigers too.

Teri said...

Sounds like it was a fun day even if you were in Cleveland (yep, I'm a Tiger fan too). What an honor to be there for the Quilts of Honor. Great job, Laurie

Jan said...

Wow, I am a huge baseball fan (Yankees, sorry!). This is so cool, and I didn't know about it at all. Just loved reading about your very cool experience.
Nick Swisher is an ex-Yankee and has had too many good games against NYY lately,but he is a fun player to watch.

lucysmom said...

What a great story- thanks for sharing!

Susan w said...

Red,white & blue! Stars and Bars! Baseball! Awesome!! Where's the Apple pie?

Blog Archive