Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy 2014!

I had big plans.  Big plans of great, NYE festive photos. You see, there has been a big event here in Ann Arbor the past few days, ending today with the Winter Classic Hockey game.  All the streets downtown were blocked off to traffic last night and there was a huge New Year's Eve block party with a neon dropping puck.  We had plans, really we did.  A brisk evening walk followed by lots of pictures.  Did I mention it got very cold? Did I mention it started snowing?
So, the next couple of pictures are from our local newspaper/blog….


 Last night was spent wrapped up in a quilt, with cocoa watching the Red Wing/Maple Leaf Alumni game on TV.  We still harbored plans of getting to the Winter Classic today.  The prices of tickets on Stubhub are plunging - much like the temperature.  But….. I don't think fresh croissants and hot coffee are readily available in the Big House.
 Besides, here at home, I can work on my Mrs. Billings while I watch the game.

Still, Bill and Gibby played a little Winter Classic in the back yard this morning.  Happy New Year from all of us at Minick and Simpson.


17 comments:

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Happy New Years...stay warm, it is indeed a cold winter.

Pam P said...

Hi Laurie! Happy New Year to you and your family :) I really love to see your Mrs. Billings updates - can you tell me if you "treat" your fabrics before cutting and piecing? Starch or sizing? I'm still new to hand piecing and I'm concerned about fraying - Your pieces still look great even though you must handle them a lot! Thanks and best wishes for the new year!

Laurie said...

Pam

Since I am working from my scrap basket (except for the background fabric) - yes, I use Best Press. I press all the scraps and then cut and mark. These pieces won't see the iron again until the top is completed.

I try not to stress out the pieces too much when I piece them. They are pinned, stitched and then set aside until pieced in the top. Notice from the photo - that means these sections are quite 3 dimensional. They will be like this until they are stitched into the top and then pressed.

I haven't had any problems with fraying.

Sharrieboberry said...

Gotta love the neon hockey puck, though.

Your new year looks warm and cozy. Happy New Year!

Pam P said...

Thanks Laurie - You're the best!! I appreciate the tips and (hopefully) I'll get in lots of practice this year. Stay warm!

SharoninStitches said...

I have been totally thrilled with the Red Wing/Leafs games, especially the alumni game yesterday. How great to see the Russian 5 together again and Stevie and Chelli and...Happy New Year, Laurie, from warm and balmy Waterford, MI.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Watching the game here ... Hand quilting my Storm at Sea, waiting for our snow to start this afternoon. Pretty much a perfect afternoon here. ;-)

Sharon said...

My kids were all at the Alumni Games yesterday, and are at The Winter Classic today. My husband and I are watching from home, cozy on the sofa. Sewing comes after the game.
Nice way to start a New Year!

Irenbjor said...

Happy New YR to you and yours!

farmhousequilter8 said...

Do u have a new fabric line in the works?

PamKittyMorning said...

Happy New Year!!

carina said...

A great happy year!

Atelier Blanc nord-ouest said...

Bonne année !

pdudgeon said...

thinking of you in the middle of the Winter snow storm this morning. Hurcules is certainly packing a whallop. Hope you've got lots of hot chocolate with marshmallows, and a mug of some warm soup for later in this snowy day.Brrrr!

Carrie said...

Happy 2014!

I'm glad you opted for the couch. I know you Michigan-types can handle the weather but the view of the game is better. And you can stitch while you watch... with a croissant.

Karen Styles said...

Happy New Year Laurie. The 'tie' border is coming along very nicely! You will be finished in no time.

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy New Year - yes the day of the Winter Classic was certainly snowy and cold - but what a great game watched on TV - yea our Maple Leafs won - way to go. Karen from Ontario

Blog Archive